The Sanskrit word Chakra literally means wheel or disk. In yoga and meditation, Chakra refers to wheels of energy throughout the body. There are seven main chakras, which align the spine, starting from the base of the spine and runs to the crown of the head. To imagine a chakra in your body, imagine a pinwheel, or swirling wheel of energy where consciousness (mind) and matter meet. This energy, or Prana, is our life force which keeps us healthy, vibrant, and alive.
The chakras are massive nerve centers within our body. Each chakra contains bundles of nerves and major organs, as well as our psychological, emotional, and spiritual states of being.
- Red – Root Chakra
- The first chakra is the foundation of emotional and mental health. Your connection to family helps form your identity and a sense of belonging to a group/tribe. The color is red and it is also known as the Root Chakra. When all is well with this chakra, you’ll feel secure, calm and anchored in reality. Its function is concerned with earthly grounding and physical survival. This Chakra is associated with your legs, feet, bones, large intestine and adrenal glands. It controls your fight or flight response. Blockage may manifest as paranoia, fear, procrastination and defensiveness.
- Orange – The Sacral Chakra
- The sacral chakra location is in the center of your abdomen, just a couple of inches below your navel. It is related to everything about you that is tied to creation. This means not only your artistic output but also your sex drive, imagination, finances and potential for personal growth. It is associated with your lower abdomen, kidneys, bladder, circulatory system and your reproductive organs and glands. It is concerned with emotion. Blockage may manifest as emotional problems, compulsive or obsessive behavior and sexual guilt. Issues of physical survival, control, and one-on-one relationship are at the core of this energy center. The color is orange and it’s also known as the Sacral Chakra.
- Yellow – The Solar Plexus Chakra
- The third chakra furthers the development of self-esteem and personality, separate from your tribal identity. This is where you learn to draw and maintain strong boundaries and a strong internal compass, it your relationship with yourself It is located a few inches above the navel in the solar plexus area. This chakra is concerned with your digestive system, muscles, pancreas and adrenals. Feelings of personal power, laughter, joy and anger are associated with this center. Your sensitivity, ambition and ability to achieve are stored here. Blockage may manifest as anger, frustration, lack of direction or a sense of victimization.
- Green – The Heart Chakra
- This is the powerhouse of the human energy system. From its middle position, the fourth chakra mediates between the body and spirit, and determines their health, strength, and balance. It is your capacity to give and receive unconditional love, compassion and affection. Its color is green and it is located within your heart. It is the center of love, compassion, harmony and peace. This Chakra is associated with your lungs, heart, arms, hands and thymus gland. Blockage can show itself as immune system, lung and heart problems, or manifest as inhumanity, lack of compassion or unprincipled behavior.
- Blue – Throat Chakra
- This is the chakra for communication and expression. This chakra is the center of balancing your personal choices with trusting the Universe and that you are Divinely guided. Its color is blue or turquoise and it is located within the throat. It is the chakra of communication, creativity, self-expression and judgement. It is associated with your neck, shoulders, arms, hands, thyroid and parathyroid glands. It is concerned with the senses of inner and outer hearing, the manifesting of ideas, healing, transformation and purification. Blockage can show up as creative blocks, dishonesty or general problems in communicating ones needs to others.
- Indigo/Purple – The Third Eye/Brow Chakra
- Its color is Indigo (a combination of red and blue) and is located in the center of your forehead at eye level or slightly above. This chakra is used to question the spiritual nature of our life. It is the chakra of questioning, perception and knowing. It is concerned with inner vision, intuition and wisdom. Your dreams for this life and recollections of other lifetimes are held in this Chakra. Blockage may manifest as problems like lack of foresight, mental rigidity, ‘selective’ memory and depression. It involves our mental abilities and our psychological skill at evaluating our beliefs and attitudes.
- White – The Crown Chakra
- Its color is white and it is located at the top of your head. It is associated with the cerebral cortex, central nervous system and the pituitary gland. It is concerned with information, understanding, acceptance and bliss. The seventh chakra is out connection to our spiritual nature and out capacity to allow spirituality into our lives. It is the chakra of Divine purpose and personal destiny. Blockage can manifest as psychological problems.